07 July 2011

The True Reusable Produce Bag

As a follow up to my post from June 10, Plastic: Use, Reuse, or DON'T Use:

For several years now, I've been using large canvas grocery bags for my shopping. If you don't have one by now, you have no excuse. Every market, pharmacy, Target, and Wal-Mart sells them for anywhere from .99 to $1.99 at the register.

But what to do about those pesky, flimsy plastic bags for your produce and loose bulk items? They don't conveniently sell those at every chain store. And they're difficult to wash out! A couple of weekends ago, I finally went to Ecowise in Austin to buy some. Of course, because I'm not yet in the habit of taking them to the grocery store, I kept forgetting them. But I refused to buy anything that required me to use a plastic bag!  So we went a week without almonds at home.

Fortunately, if you set your mind to it, it doesn't take too long to develop good habits...

The true "reusable" bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment